Apple has simply printed a wide selection of safety fixes for all its supported platforms, from the smallest watch to the largest laptop computer.
In different phrases, for those who’ve acquired an Apple product, and it’s nonetheless formally supported, we urge you to do an replace verify now.
Keep in mind that even for those who’ve set your iDevices to replace solely robotically, doing a handbook verify remains to be effectively value it, as a result of:
- It ensures that you simply catch up if one thing went incorrect together with your final automated replace.
- It jumps you to the top of the queue in order that even for those who haven’t but been alerted to the replace by Apple, you’ll be capable of get it directly anyway.
What you want
To summarise, the variations you wish to see after you’ve upgraded are as follows:
- macOS Ventura 13.1
- macOS Monterey 12.6.2
- macOS Massive Sur 11.7.2
- tvOS 16.2
- watchOS 9.2
- iOS 16.2 (latest gadgets solely)
- iPadOS 16.2 (latest gadgets solely)
- iOS 15.7.2 (earlier gadgets, again to iPhone 6s)
- iPadOS 15.7.2 (earlier gadgets, together with iPod contact seventh gen)
When you’ve acquired Massive Sur or Monterey, you’ll additionally want a separate replace to take you to Safari 16.2 to repair numerous browser and web-rendering bugs. (Different platform updates get their Safari fixes bundled in.)
Amusingly, if that’s the precise phrase, a few of the the thriller surrounding Apple’s latest iOS 16.1.2 replace, which got here out all by itself, with no supporting documentation in any respect, has belatedly been revealed:
A bug in WebKit, Apple’s net rendering engine, often called CVE-2022-42856, apparently confirmed up in an exploit getting used within the wild, and though that bug has now been patched in all of the abovementioned updates (besides watchOS)…
…it appears that evidently the identified exploit solely labored on iOS.
After all, on condition that the replace advisories now explicitly state that the exploit truly solely labored “in opposition to variations of iOS launched earlier than iOS 15.1”, we nonetheless don’t know why iOS 16 customers acquired an replace whereas iOS 15 customers didn’t.
Maybe Apple hoped that some customers who had been nonetheless again on iOS 15, and thus probably weak, would leap to iOS 16 and get themselves as up-to-date as potential?
Or maybe the iOS 16.1.2 replace was merely a precaution that took much less time to push out than it did for Apple to make sure that iOS 16 was not, in truth, in danger?
What to do?
- In your iPhone or iPad: Settings > Normal > Software program Replace
- In your Mac: Apple menu > About this Mac > Software program Replace…